Capsicum bath is a kind of masala bath , variety rice made with vangi bath masala powder . This is a popular recipe from Karnataka . Capsicum bath is easy to make and it is a popular lunch box recipe too.
Before jumping into the recipe , do take some time to read the complete post for tips and details to make a perfect capsicum bath or vangi bath with capsicum ( this is how we call this recipe at home) .
About this recipe
Vangi bath is a variety rice made with tender green brinjals , popular in Karnataka. It is spicy to taste and has a mild sweetness and tang taste too. The main flavours in vangi bath comes from special spice blend used to make this rice.
Traditionally , Vangi bath is made with tender and fresh green brijals . But as it is not easily available throughout the year , at home we often make it with different vegetables. And this post shares Vangi bath recipe made using capsicum and potatoes.
As vangi bath powder ( spice blend) is used to make this rice , this recipe is often refered as Capsicum Vangi Bath .
This Capsicum vangi bath is
- easy to make
- tastes delicious
- fresh and aromatic
- Lunch box recipe
To make this recipe , most importantly you need Vangi Bath Masala Powder , Cooked rice , Brinjal / Capsicum ( or any mixed vegetables) , tamarind and basic seasoning ingredients.
Also mixed vegetables like carrot , french beans , green peas and potato are also used to make this vangi bath . One more favourite combination that goes well with this vangi bath is green peas and fresh methi leaves.
Tips to make best Variety Rice
To make variety rice , always make sure to use either warm rice or cool rice. Has it helps to mix well with masala without breaking the rice grains.
You can use either Basmati , sona masoori , kolam , Jeera or any kind of rice to make this recipe . But just make sure to cook , fluffy rice with each rice grain separated.
You can also use 1 teaspoon of oil and ½ teaspoon of salt to make rice , for vangibath.
To make vangi bath masala , use sesame oil because it enhances the taste. If you don't have sesame oil, you can use any other cooking oil of your choice. But I always recommend sesame oil for recipes like puliyogare , heralekai chitranna and also our street favourite churmuri .
How to make Vangi Bath Gojju ?
Firstly, to make vangi bath you need to prepare masala paste also known as Vangi bath gojju.
Use sesame oil to make a basic tempering , then add all seasoning ingredients followed by vegetables of your choice.
Once after , vegetables are fried well in oil , add vangibath powder and mix well.
Add tamarind juice , pinch of jaggery and salt to taste and cook on low flame until oil floats or specks of oil is seen.
This is Vangi bath Gojju and you can store this masala paste in refrigerator upto 7 days.
How to make Capsicum Bath using Vangi Masala :
For capsicum masala paste /gojju
Heat 5 tablespoon of sesame oil in a pan. When oil is hot enough , add mustard seeds, once it crackles add curry leaves and broken red chillies.
Add chana dal , urad dal and cashews and saute till it turns golden brown.
Now add sliced onions .
Fry well till onion turns translucent.
Add thinly sliced capsicum of 1 ½ " inch and fry well.
Add chopped , tomatoes and potatoes( if using) .
Mix well and saute for a minute.
Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Mix everything and continue to cook till potatoes and tomatoes are well cooked.
Add 3 tablespoon of Vangi bath masala powder
Mix well everything.
Now add in ½ cup of tamarind juice extracted from ½ tablespoon of tamarind pulp and mix well.
Add ½ teaspoon of jaggery powder , 1 ½ teaspoon of salt and mix well.
Keep the flame on low heat , mix well everything and cook till oil releases from the edges.
Mix well everything. Turn off the flame and set aside till use.
Once cool , you can even store it in a clean dry glass jar upto 1 week in refrigerator.
To mix with Rice :
Take cooked and warm rice in a large plate .
Add above prepared capsicum masala paste and mix well with rice using hands. For every 1 cup of cooked rice add about 11/2- 2 tablespoon heap of capsicum masala paste/ gojju.
Sprinkle Vangi bath masala powder , ½ teaspoon of salt and mix well with hands. For every 1 cup cooked rice , add 1 tablespoon vangi bath masala powder.
Add chopped coriander leaves and few drops of lime juice , mix well everything . Adding lime juice is optional , but I recommend , as it enhances the taste.
Taste and adjust salt or masala or spiciness accordingly by adding salt , capasicum masala paste or vangi bath masala powder to suit your taste.
Capsicum bath recipe
For Masala Paste | Gojju
- 5 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 no's Onion, medium size , sliced
- 3 no's Green capsicum , large , cut into 11/2 "inch thin sticks
- 1 Potato , small , optional
- 1 Tomato , chopped , optional
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ tablespoon Chana dal
- 1 tablespoon Urad Dal
- 2 Sprigs of Curry leaves
- 2 Dry Red chillies , broken
- 2 tablespoon Cashews
- ½ teaspoon Jaggery powder
- 3 tablespoon Vangi bath powder
- ½ tablespoon Tamarind, soaked in ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt or as required
To mix with rice
- 4 ½ -5 cups Cooked Rice - , refer notes
- Capsicum Masala Paste , gojju - , refer notes
- 4 - 5 tablespoon Vangi bath powder
- 2 teaspoon Salt or as required
- 1 teaspoon Lime Juice , optional
- 3 tablespoon Coriander leaves , chopped
To make capsicum masala paste /gojju
- Heat 5 tablespoon of sesame oil in a pan. When oil is hot enough , add mustard seeds , curry leaves and broken red chillies.
- Add chana dal , urad dal and cashews and saute till it turns golden brown.
- Now add sliced onions and fry well till onion turns translucent.
- Add thinly sliced capsicum of 1 ½ " inch and fry well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and potatoes .Mix well and saute for a minute.
- Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder , 1 teaspoon of salt and continue to cook till potatoes and tomatoes are well cooked.
- Add 3 tablespoon of Vangi bath masala powder and mix well .
- Now add in ½ cup of tamarind juice extracted from ½ tablespoon of tamarind pulp and mix well.
- Add ½ teaspoon of jaggery powder , 1 teaspoon of salt and mix well.
- Keep the flame on low , mix well everything and cook till oil releases from the edges.
- Mix well everything. Turn off the flame and set aside till use.
- Once cool , you can even store it in a clean dry glass jar upto 1 week in refrigerator.
To mix with Rice
- Take cooked and warm rice in a large plate .
- Add above prepared capsicum masala paste and mix well with rice using hands. For every 1 cup of cooked rice add about 11/2- 2 tablespoon heap of capsicum masala paste/ gojju.
- Sprinkle Vangi bath masala powder , salt to taste , few drops of lime juice , chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Adding lime juice is optional , but I recommend , as it enhances the taste.
- Taste and adjust it accordingly by adding capasicum masala paste or vangi bath masala powder or salt , to suit your taste.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe yields approximately about 1 ¼ cup of masala paste /gojju , which can make about ½ kilo capsicum bath.
- I have used only 2 cups of cooked rice for ⅓ cup of masala paste/gojju. But with the above capsicum masala / gojju , 4-5 cups of cooked rice can be mixed easily .
- The Masala Paste | Gojju can be stored in refrigerator upto 1 week.
- For every 1 Cup of cooked rice , 1 tablespoon of dry vangi bath masala powder needs to be mixed while mixing with rice.