Dal Palak recipe with step by step photos and video . Dal Palak is a delicious lentil-based Indian side dish made with spinch , lentils and spices . Its a soothing and humble accompaniment with phulka/roti or rice. Here is how to make this simple and quick recipe for everday meals.
About this recipe
There are many ways of doing Dal Palak recipe but this one is my style because its quick , easy and simple. This bachelor version of making Dal Palak needs no monitor nor much time. You can pressure cook everything together and then temper with spices. It's all set to serve.
Dal Palak is a simple everyday Dal which is nutritious recipe made of spinach and pigeon pea lentils. Its one of the most loved combination in Indian homes for is taste and nutrious values . Also its very light on stomach and tastes delicious.
To make Dal Palak , I have used only pigeon peas ( turvar dal ) but you can always use combination lentils like masoor dal and moong dal also. Moong dal and Toor dal combined together with spinach makes it very delcious.
You can also cook dal seperately and then saute along with chopped spinach leaves. But here for a quicker and simple version I have pressure cooked everything and then tempered.
You can make palak dal recipe either in pressure cooker or instant pot , a healthy pot of nutritious, and protein-rich spinach dal will be ready in no time.
This Dal Palak is nutritious being rich in protein and iron , also its a very quick and easy bachelor recipe perfect for weekday meals
Checkout Video Recipe
Dal – For this Dal Palak recipe, I have used Yellow Lentil Dal or Dhuli Moong Dal, but you can also use any other Dal instead of yellow dal. You can also use a combination of two dal in this recipe.
Spinach – This Dal is filled with the goodness of Iron-rich leafy vegetable Palak or Spinach. Finely chop the spinach to use in the Dal. You can also puree the spinach and add in the dal, but I like the texture chopped spinach adds.
Ghee – A ghee tadka in this Spinach Dal adds a really nice flavor and aroma. But you can even use vegetable oil, coconut oil, or olive oil.
Spices – Turmeric powder and salt are the only spices needed.
For the tadka – I have added a ghee tadka in the palak dal to enhance the taste even more. This tadka will have ingredients such as ginger, garlic, dry red chili, green chilies, cumin seeds, thing, and red chili powder.
Others – Some more basic ingredients needed are lemon juice and fresh coriander, which adds a little tanginess in the Dal and coriander leaves adds a nice color along with freshness.
If you like to make it tangy, you can even add a little bit of tamarind paste and tamarind water in the dal.
Variations and Tips
Lentils / Dal – You can change or use mixed lentils to make this Dal Palak. I have used toor dal ( pigeon pea lentils ) in this recipe, but you can replace it with split Moong Dal, split Masoor Dal, Chana Dal, or combination of lentils in this recipe. But always make sure to soak lentils for minimum 3 to 4 hours , if possible 7-8 hours for leaching out antinutrients like phytates and for proper absorption of nutrients.
Vegetables – You can also add some vegetables like Pumpkin or carrot in the Dal to make it more nutritious and can feed small kids of age group 9 months and above.
Tempering – You can either give a very simple tempering of Hing and Jeera to this Dal. Or for more enhanced taste adding kasuri methi and garlic will bring out the flavours in spinach dal. And needless to mention , tempering should be done with ghee/ clarified butter.
No Onion - No Garlic - To make a Jain version , avoid adding onion and garlic in the recipe. All the other ingredients and the process will remain the same.
Step by Step Dal Palak Recipe
Wash dal and soak for 3 to 4 hours. Soaking lentils for more hours helps to remove antinutrients from lentils. Drain water completely , rinse with cold water and set aside.
In a pressure cooker, add 1 tablespoon of Oil , mustard seeds, cumin seeds , ginger, garlic , green chillies and onions. Saute till onions turns translucent. Add turmeric powder and pinch of hing, mix well everything.
Now add in chopped tomatoes , saute till tomatoes turn mushy . Add chopped spinach ,mix well everything.
Add soaked dal ( lentils) , 2 cups of water
And pressure cook for 2-3 whistles on high heat.
When pressure settles on its own , open lid , add salt and keep on simmer for 5 -8 minutes .
Whilst , Heat ghee in a small pan. When the ghee is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped garlic, curry leaves , dry red chilies and asafoetida. Fry till garlic is slightly browned. Add Kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves and red chilli . Switch off the heat.
Immediately pour tempering/ tadak over the cooked dal.
Mix well , simmer for 5 minutes and serve with roti or steamed rice.
Dal Palak Recipe
- ½ Cup Toor Dal - soaked for 3- 4 hours
- 1 tablespoon Cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ inch Ginger grated
- 3 no’s Garlic cloves - chopped
- 2 no’s Green chillies - slit
- 1 Onion - medium size , chopped
- 1 Tomato - medium size chopped
- 2 Cups Spinach - chopped
- 2-2.5 cups Water
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Hing/ Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Ghee/ clarified butter
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Jeera seeds
- 2 Sprigs curry leaves
- 2 Dry red chillies broken
- ¼ teaspoon Hing/ Asafoetida
- 1 tablespoon Garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri methi / Dry fenugreel leaves
- ½ teaspoon Red chilli powder
- Wash dal and soak for 3 to 4 hours. Soaking lentils for more hours helps to remove antinutrients from lentils. Drain water completely , rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a pressure pan. Add 1 tablespoon of Oil , mustard seeds, cumin seeds , ginger, garlic , green chillies and onions. Saute till onions turns translucent.
- Now add in chopped tomatoes , saute till tomatoes turn mushy . Add chopped spinach , turmeric powder ,mix well everything.
- Add soaked dal and 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles on high heat. When pressure settles on its own , open lid , add salt and keep on simmer for 5 -8 minutes .
- Whilst , Heat ghee in a small pan. When the ghee is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped garlic, curry leaves , dry red chilies and asafoetida. Fry till garlic is slightly browned. Add Kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves and red chilli . Switch off the heat.
- Immediately pour tempering/ tadak over the cooked dal.
- Mix well , simmer for 5 minutes and serve with roti or steamed rice.