Sicilian Cabbage Orange Salad with step by step images and video. This delicious salad with Olive oil and orange juice dressing. The tartness from orange , sweet , tang from cherry tomatoes, crunch from cabbage along with olives makes it so delicious that you get addicted .
I'm making this salad for more than a decade and still love to eat it without making any changes to the original recipe. If you are not a salad lover ....., then try making this salad . You'll definitely fall in love and would ask for more and more .....!
One best this about this salad is , it doesn't have anything creamy , high calories for dressing. Tart taste of Vinaigrette in salad is replaced by oranges and its dressing .
Cabbage Health Benefits
Its rich in Vitamins K , C and B6 . Also it has a good source of dietary fiber , manganese, potassium, vitamin B1, folate , calcium ,iron and niacin making it a most healthiest vegetable during pregnancy. Cabbages are also very low in calories , 1 Cup shredded cabbage yields about just 32 calories. Hence cabbages are most recommended during any weight loss , weight management programs.
There is no short cuts or fad diets for a successful weight loss. Eat a healthy , nutritious food with portion control and stay active or work out for minimum 30 minutes. Don't wonder , all of a sudden , why I jumped to Weight Loss Topic ? This Sicilian Cabbage Orange Salad is one such recipe in most of my clients diet charts for weight loss . As this salad is nutritious , full of fibre and keeps you satiated for long without any cravings .
Similar Weight loss Diet Recipes
- Peanut salad
- Bean Salad
- Palak Paneer Salad
- Beetroot soup
- Pumpkin Soup
- Ragi Soup
- Lemon Coriander chicken Soup .
Recipe Card for Sicilian Cabbage Orange Salad
Sicilian Cabbage Orange Salad
- 2 cups Cabbage ,shredded
- ½ cup Cherry Tomatoes or 1 large tomato
- 10 no Green Olives sliced
- 1-2 no Oranges, 10 -15 segments
- ½ cup Orange Juice ,freshly extracted
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ -½ teaspoon Salt or as required
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder, freshly crushed
- ½ teaspoon Chilli flakes
- In a glass bowl or small glass jar, add ½ cup of freshly extracted orange juice , 2 tablespoon of olive oil , ¼- ½ teaspoon salt , ¼ teaspoon pepper powder , ½ teaspoon Chilli flakes.
- Stir and mix well everything, set aside. If using a glass jar , shake well and use it as required.
- Thoroughly wash and rinse cabbage, shred it thin to get about 2 cups.
- Take ½ cup of cherry tomatoes and halve into two. If using regular tomatoes , cut into long strips .
- Take around 10 green olives and slice. Or else use 2-3 tablespoon of sliced green olives.
- Cut open Orange , remove orange rinds and seeds. Separate orange segments without skin . If the skin is thin , you can directly add orange segments.
- Add cabbage , tomates, olives and orange to a mixing bowl .
- Now drizzle in prepared dressing and gently mix well .
- Serve a bowl full of this salad before meal.
- If you want to cut down calories , you can reduce the amount of extra virgin olive oil to 1 tablespoon .
Step by step directions , how to make Sicilian Cabbage Orange Salad:
In a glass bowl or small glass jar, extract ½ cup of orange juice .
Add 2 tablespoon of olive oil for this orange Juice and stir well.
Now add ¼- ½ teaspoon salt , ¼ teaspoon pepper powder .
Add ½ teaspoon Chilli flakes. Stir and mix well everything, set aside. If using a glass jar , shake well and use it as required.
Place all the ingredients ready. Thoroughly wash and rinse cabbage, shred it thin to get about 2 cups.
Take ½ cup of cherry tomatoes and halve into two. If using regular tomatoes , cut into long strips . Take around 10 green olives and slice. Or else use 2-3 tablespoon of sliced green olives.
Cut open Orange , remove orange rinds and seeds. Separate orange segments without skin . If the skin is thin ,you can directly add orange segments.
In a mixing Bowl , add cabbage , tomatoes and olives .
Add oranges to a mixing bowl .
Now drizzle in prepared dressing. Gently stir and mix well everything .
Serve a bowl full of this salad before meal.