Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is delicious with low fat dressing and flavors are bang on. This adapted version of my Mediterranean chickpea salad uses hung curd instead of cheese . And also roasted sesame seeds instead of Tahini sauce to balance rustic flavors and yet keeping it low on fat.
Chickpea Salad is a vegetarian high protein salad , it gets ready within 10 minutes , provided you have your chickpeas cooked or using canned chickpeas .
Serve this salad as any wraps or collard wraps or can have as salad along with your meals . Incase if you are on a diet plan, you can have this all alone as a part of your meal. Its balanced and quite filling on its own.
I love to eat my salads with full on flavors and not just bland . Here are my all time favorite salads shared on blog -
About this recipe
Chickpea salad has been one of favorite for years now. I’ve made many chickpea salad variations, but this quick and easy recipe is the best . The star of the show is a hung curd dressing. It’s fresh and tangy flavors meld so well and tastes delicious.
Because of the protein from the chickpeas, it’s hearty enough to be a meal on its own, but it can also be served as a healthy side dish.
The garbanzo beans hold up well in the fridge, so you can easily make it ahead. And with a mix of beans, herbs, and fresh vegetables , you get a delicious blend of flavors in every bite.
For dressing, I have used most basic ingredients which are readily available at your pantry . Find the ingredients list here , refer recipe card for actual measurements.
Produce - Red Onions , Cherry Tomatoes , English Cucumber , Fresh Herbs -Coriander leaves and Mint leaves , Garlic cloves , Lime Juice and Boiled Chickpeas
Spices - Roasted Cumin powder , Paparika , Blackpepper powder and Salt
Dairy - Hung Curds or Greek Yogurt
Oil -Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- If you are not much concerned about calories from fat , you can swap Hung curd for goat cheese or feta cheese.
- Add some soft and chewy Medjool dates for sweetness in salad
- Try out adding some nicely roasted peanuts or roasted chickpeas for crunchy bites in your salad.
Can I make it ahead ? Yes , garbanzo beans hold up well in the fridge. You prep it ahead of time , dress and serve . Also you can pack it up for a healthy lunch.
Can I make it Vegan ? Yes , of course, swap hung curd with any dairy free yogurt . But my personal favorite is Peanut Curd
Can I use Tahini ? Yes , feel free to use Tahini sauce instead of toasted sesame seeds. Just to make it less fat , I didn't go for Tahini sauce. Also in India , Sesame seeds are handy at home than tahini .
Canned Chickpeas or Boiled Chickpeas - You can use both . Just make sure to drain water completely from canned chickpeas , before using in the recipe.
Does raw garlic be more pungent ? No , just make sure to finely chop garlic and not to paste it. It's need for flavors here.
You might like this
How to make Chickpea Salad ?
Take 3 tablespoon of hung curd in a bowl / jar. Add olive oil, chopped garlic, roasted cumin powder, paparika, blackpepper powder, salt to taste and lime juice.
Now add in roasted sesame seeds. Along with giving nutty tasty, it adds on more rustic flavors.
Add some freshly chopped cilantro and mint leaves, adding fresh herbs into dressing helps to release out some water which make it easy for smooth mixing of spices when poured on to salad vegetables.
Stir and mix well everything.
To make salad
Into a mixing bowl add 1 cup boiled chickpeas, chopped red onions, English cucumber and cherry tomatoes.
Pour hung curd dressing over vegetables and chickpeas.
Nicely give a stir to mix well everything.
Let it sit for 5 minutes for flavors to meld together and serve.
Chickpea Salad - Mediterranean Style
- 1 cup Chickpeas - boiled
- ½ cup Red Onions - chopped
- ¼ cup Cherry Tomatoes - quartered
- ½ cup English Cucumber - sliced and quartered
- 3 tablespoon Hung Curd
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil - extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Paparika
- ½ teaspoon Blackpepper powder or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds, roasted
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh Mint Leaves
- Salt as required
- Take 3 tablespoon of hung curd in a bowl / jar. Add olive oil, chopped garlic, roasted cumin powder, paparika, blackpepper powder, salt to taste and lime juice.
- Now add in roasted sesame seeds. Along with giving nutty tasty, it adds on more rustic flavours.
- Add some freshly chopped cilantro and mint leaves, adding fresh herbs into dressing helps to release out some water which make it easy for smooth mixing of spices when poured on to salad vegetables.
- Stir and mix well everything.
To make salad
- Into a mixing bowl add 1 cup boiled chickpeas, chopped red onions, English cucumber and cherry tomatoes.
- Pour hung curd dressing over vegetables and chickpeas.
- Nicely give a stir to mix well everything.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes for flavours to meld together and serve.