Ragi Soup recipe with step by step photos and video. Ragi soup is a healthy , nutritious bowl of soup made with finger millet flour and assorted vegetables.
A hot bowl of ragi soup is all you need to meet your calcium needs making bones stronger , keeps anemia and diabetics at bay .
What is Ragi Soup?
Ragi Soup is a one pot balanced meal. It is a nutritious soup that can be given to all age groups from 1 year to elderly person. It's rich in nutrients , light on stomach and easily digestible. For weight loss and weight management , this soup creates wonder when added mindfully in diet.
For all weight watchers , it time to include into your diet . As vegetables are added to this , it provides all vitamins and minerals along with carbohydrates and essential amino acids from ragi.
Have this nutritious Ragi soup in your dinner along with some protein and see the magic it creates . As it is gluten free grain , you never feel bloated or gassy . Also it curbs all the late night cravings and binge eating. If you haven't added this super grain in your diet , do consider to add and you'll be benefited for sure.
Step by Step directions to make Ragi Soup :
Warm ½ cup water , add ragi flour make a paste / slurry
Keep Ragi slurry as side
Heat Butter/ oil in a wok, add bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon stick , ginger , garlic and green chillies and saute until raw smell goes off.
Add onions and saute till it turns translucent.
Add all the chopped veggies and blanched green peas.
Now add 3.5 cups of water and bring to boil .
Once it starts to boil,cover lid and put on simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove bay leaf, cinnamon , cloves and discard it , as its added only to get flavor . If using vegetable or chicken stock then no need to add whole spices. Alternatively you can skip using whole spices , if vegetable or chicken stock is used.
For this add the ragi paste / ragi slurry,
stir and allow it cook.
Once it starts to thicken , turn off the stove.
Finally , add salt, pepper powder
lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- ⅓ cup Ragi Flour
- 4 cups Water
- 1 Onion, Large , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger , finely chopped
- ⅓ cup Carrot , finely chopped
- ¼ cup Green Beans , finely chopped
- ¼ cup Capsicum , finely chopped
- ⅓ cup Cabbage , shredded
- ½ cup Green peas , fresh or frozen, blanched
- 1 Green chilly , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves , chopped
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice , freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Butter / Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Cloves
- 1 " inch Cinnamon Stick
- Warm ½ cup water , add ragi flour make a paste and keep it aside.
- Heat Butter/ oil in a wok, add onion, ginger garlic and saute it till raw smell goes off.
- Add bay leaf,cloves and cinnamon stick saute and add all the chopped veggies and blanched green peas ,refer notes
- Add 3 ½ cup of water and bring to boil . Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and put it on sim.
- Remove bay leaf, cinnamon , cloves and discard it , as its added only to get flavor . Alternatively you can skip using whole spices , if vegetable or chicken stock is used.
- To this add the ragi paste / ragi slurry, stir and allow it cook.
- Once it starts to thicken , turn off the stove.
- Add salt, pepper powder, lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
- If you are using vegetable or chicken stock , you can skip adding whole spices .