Tandoori Masala Powder is a blend of spices which is used in various tandoori preparations. It's an aromatic deep red coloured masala powder with blend of flavours.I have used Byadgi Red Chilli to get that dark red colour. I am against the use of artificial colours and flavours as it is considered to be not good for health. So I always try to add colours in an natural way.
Byadgi red chillies are non spicy red chillies which are used only to get that deep red colour . I even remember seeing a program featured on television ,few years before where Byadgi Red Chillies where used in making of Lipsticks. So you want red deep colour in your food, then try adding byadgi red chillies it gives that deep red colour same as that of Tandoori Red colour.
Tandoori Masala Powder ,is very easy to make at home with very few basic ingredients. I bring all the dry whole spices and make all kind of spice blends at home. As it is easy to make and also fresh . Blend some small quantity of spices ,so that it can be used for 5 to 6 times. The measurement I have used here yields approximately 30 grams , use it as required and make fresh batch as and when needed. It hardly takes 20 minutes of your time.
This Tandoori Masala Powder can be used in marination for making tandoori chicken , tandoori paneer tikka , tandoori fish . Also it can be used while preparing paneer tikka masala ,chicken tikka masala ,kebabs and many more delicacies.
Recipe card for Tandoori Masala Powder
Tandoori Masala Powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 5-6 Byadgi Red Chilli
- 2 Sticks Cinnamon 1 " inch pieces
- 3 Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Black Peppercorns
- 5 Green Cardamom
- 3 Black Cardamom
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ¾ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Clean all the dry spices .Check for any debris or stones in coriander seeds and peppercorns ,if there discard it.
- Heat a griddle ,preferable iron griddle or else you can use non stick or anodized skillet too
- Dry roast all the ingredients on a low to medium heat ,one by one till you get the pungent smell of each spices.
- Take measures ,not to burn or brown the spices.
- Turn off the heat and then at last add Jeera /cumin seeds , heat of the iron griddle is sufficient to crackle the jeera seeds.
- Once all the ingredients ,cools down . Place it in a dry mixer jar and blend to fine powder.
- Store it in any air tight dry glass jar and use it as required.
Step By Step Directions on making of Tandoori Masala Powder :
Clean all the dry spices , check for any stones and debris if any and discard them.
Heat a griddle , and slowly on low to medium heat dry roast all the ingredients one by one till you get pungent smell from the spices.
Take measures, not to burn / brown any of the spices.
Turn off the heat , add cumin seeds ,heat in the iron griddle is enough to crackle cumin seeds.If you are roasting it on an anodized or non stick pan ,roast it on low heat till cumin seeds crackle.
Once ,all spices cools down .Transfer all the roasted ingredients to dry mixer jar . Add turmeric powder and blend to fine powder.
Store it in an airtight glass jar and use it as required.