Sabudana Vada is a popular snack for vrat( fasting ), basically a deep fried fritters made with tapioca pearls , boiled potatoes , roasted peanuts and spices.
This version of baked sabudana vada is similar to fried one 's ; it is tasty , crispy but low on caloriles and non greasy . Does not it sound awesome ?
If you are on a vrat (fasting) or if you love to eat varitiey of sabudana dishes just like me then I have few more recipes shared for you like - Sabudana Khichdi , Sabudana Thalipeeth , Sabudana Kheer and Sabudana Chivda.
About this recipe
Basically , Sabudana Vada is a crispy , golden brown , deep fried Maharashtrian snack made with tapioca pearls (sago), boiled potatoes , peanuts , herbs and mild spices.
But this version is a baked Sabudana vada recipe , by following the same recipe you can either air fry , shallow fry or deep fry .
Sabudana is also known as Sabakki vade in Kannada , Sugubiyyam vadalu in Telgu laguage and Javvarisi Vadai in Tamil languge. These Crispy , golden brown, and crunchy vadas are perfect to pair with green chutney and masala chai on any monsoon day.
Sabudana Vada are prepared and eaten during vrats (Indian fasting days) like Navratri, Ekadeshi, Janmashtami, Shivratri, etc.
Sabudana /tapioca are loaded with carbohydrates hence it energises instantly and keeps you full for longer on fasting days. Tapioca Pearls ( sago) are made from starch extracted from tapioca roots and then processed to give pearl like structure.
Sabudana contains very large quantity of starch with low amounts of vitamins, minerals, calcium,iron and fiber . However lack of these nutrients are made up by adding veggies, peanuts , milk and ghee to create myriad of lip smacking dishes.
This Sabudana Vada is,
- Apt for fasting days
- Perfect for monsoon days
- Gluten Free
Below is the quick glimpse on ingredients used to make baked sabudana vada.
Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) - Sabudana comes in a variety of sizes, small, medium, and large pearls. Use the medium size Sabudana pearls to make this recipe.
Boiled Potatoes - are used to hold the mixture. Boil the potatoes in whichever way you want ,I prefer to pressure cook them . As an alternative to potatoes you can use either raw banana or sweet potatoes .
Roasted Peanuts - It's a star ingredient in this recipe. It adds on texture and taste to the sabudana vada. Makes sure to crush rosted peanuts coarsely and not fine.
Ginger - Adds on good flavour to sadudana vada.
Jeera /Cumin Seeds - It's optional , you can either use or skip .It doesn't alter with the taste.
Clarified butter / ghee or Oil - You can use clarified buter / ghee or any vegetable oil to make this recipe. As this recipe ius mainly followed during vrat , I prefer to use Ghee to make Sabudana Vada.
Others - Black Salt , sugar ,green chillies , coriander leaves and lime juice as used as per taaste.
Before soaking Sabudana , rinse well couple of times and drain excess of starch .
To soak Sabudana, always use 1 cup ( to 1.25 ) of water to 1 cup sabudana .1 : 1 ratio works fine to soak soabudana , if you find sadudana too hard after soaking for 5 hours then use another ¼ cup of extra water and soak for another 30 minutes or more.
How to make Sabudana Vada
Wash sago thoroughly
soak in 1 ¾ cup of water for about 5 hrs or overnight.
After soaking for 5 hours, Drain water completely and check sabudana if it can mash between fingers. If it is hard in between then add ¼ cup water and continue to soak for another 30 minutes.
Pressure cook potatoes, peel skin and mash potatoes and keep aside.
Dry roast peanuts on an iron skillet ,till skin starts peeling.Allow to cool completely.
Take peanuts in a mixer jar ,coarse powder it using pulse mode for 10 seconds.
To make Vada
In a mixing bowl or large plate, add potatoes, peanut powder, chopped green chillies, coriander leaves, lemon juice,1 tablespoon oil, jeera seeds , grated ginger and salt to taste.
Mix everything very well ,
gently mash with hands or masher.
Scoop out small portion, make a ball and press from your palm to shape into patties.
Preheat oven to 220 deg C .
Divide the mixture into 24 -25 equal size patties, grease the baking tray and arrange the patties.Brush the top of patties with oil.
Place in preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. In between, around 15 minutes flip the vada to other side and again continue to bake .
Bake until top turns nice golden in colour.
Yummy and delicious Baked sabudana vadas will be ready to serve along with curds and green chutney.
Sabudana Vada Recipe
- 1.5 Cups Sabudana (Pearl Tapioca)
- 4 Potatoes ,medium size ,boiled - medium size
- ½ cup Peanuts , roasted and crushed
- 1 teaspoon Ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon Jeera /Cumin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 3 Green chillies - chopped or as required
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Leaves - chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon Powdered Rock Salt / Sendha Namak - or as required
- 2 teaspoon Clarified butter or oil
- Wash sago in running water for 3-4 times. Soak in 2 ½ cup of water for 5-6 hrs.
- After 5 hours,drain water completely from Sabudana and keep it in a colander bowl,so that water drains away completely,if any.
- Boil Potatoes,in a pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles.
- Peel potato skin and mash the potatoes completely.
- Dry roast peanuts on an iron skillet ,till skin starts peeling.Allow to cool completely.
- Take peanuts in a mixer jar ,coarse powder it using pulse mode for 10 seconds.
- In a mixing bowl,add sabudana ,potato,cumin seeds,salt,grated ginger,green chillies, coriander leaves,lemon juice,1 teaspoon of oil and mix everything very well.
- Take small portion of mixture ,make it round using hands and press it lightly to form a shape of flat round vada or patties.
- Preheat the oven to 220 deg celsius.
- Grease the baking tray with oil ,and place the vada and brush the top of vad with oil.
- Once preheated , Bake it for 35-40 minutes. In between, around 15 minutes flip the vada to other side and again continue to bake .
- Bake untill top turns nice golden in colour.
Can I use the same recipe and fry ?
Yes , you can deep fry or shallow fry this. To deep fry , heat oil in deep pan ,once the oil turns hot, simmer the heat to medium. Drop 4-5 vada in the hot oil and fry until golden brown from both sides.
How to serve Sabudana vada ?
Serve Sabudana vada with Hari Chutney ( coriander mint chutney ) and masala chai . You can also serve these vada with sweet curds.