Instant Oats Dosa is a quick Dosa recipe that is made with oats flour (powdered oats) , rice flour and sooji / rava. Instant breakfast comes to my rescue many time and this Dosa too , falls under the same category. I don't claim that this oats dosa is super yum to taste . But it's easy to make breakfast, tastes fine and nutritious too .
Being a South Indian its needless to say that Dosa and Idli are our main breakfast . Varieties of Dosa and Idli are regular at home with varieties of chutney and sambar , but unfortunately none is there in my blog yet. Soon i'll share all my regular recipes .
After me being a Nutritionist my view towards few food has totally changed. Few years before I always used to bring big packets of Oats regularly along with my groceries . But nowadays it's only 500 grams I bring , that too for emergencies when I can't prepare long elaborate breakfast . Because now I know the fact that there is nothing nutritious left in OATS as hyped . Processing Oats rip off most of its fiber and nutrients . So make oats preparation more nutritious by adding lots of veggies and also paneer.
Regular Dosa preparations need Lentils .But for Instant Oats Dosa, No lentils are required hence this dosa lacks protein. So its necessary to pair this Dosa with any Tiffin Sambar , dal or any curries like Kala Chana Masala , Chole Masala , Rajma Masala or Makhani Dal. Chutneys like Spicy Peanut Chutney or Mixed Chutney Powder make this Instant Oats Dosa a balanced meal. Hence Oats is always paired with milk , nuts and fruits , it's done for the protein portion. If we are bringing western food to east then pairing of food should also be done thoughtfully.
To speak about this particular Instant Oats Dosa , Oats has invaded our markets. Undoubtedly it has many health benefits. But How to eat it right ? If I'm not having Oats with Milk ? Then from where do I get my Protein portion in my Meal ?If it is a dosa like this ,where are nutrients from vegetables? So when you choose a food which is not from our region focus on how it is consumed ? Make Proper combinations as I have already mentioned above.
Globally all are more health conscious . Everyone looks for an healthy , nutritious and tasty diet. Like me there are crores who browse through internet for healthy and nutritious recipes. But one of the most important thing here to observe is , which food suits our body ? Western food and their diet plan may not be easier for Asians to follow and vice versa. Season , Region , Genes, Body type and also Socio Economic factors plays a important role while choosing a diet.
Whichever food you choose ,eat it in such a manner that it is a well Balanced Diet. Means there should be carbohydrates , protein, vitamins , minerals and fat in right amounts. Everything is important for a body to function normally. For more information on this check my article Balanced Diet in Health and wellness Category.
This is a kind of information I always want to share with my readers. If my readers can understand the fundamentals of eating and pairing right food together, then motto of running this food blog will be achieved.
RECIPE CARD FOR INSTANT OATS DOSA
Instant Oats Dosa
- 1 cup Oats
- ⅓ cup Rice Flour
- 3 tablespoon Rava /Sooji / Semolina
- 3 tablespoon Curds
- ¾ teaspoon Salt or as required
- Water as required
- Oil ? Ghee for roasting Dosa
- Dry Roast 1 cup of Oats on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add dry roasted oats to a blender and powder the oats.
- In a mixing bowl add powdered oats , ⅓ cup rice flour, 3 tablespoon Sooji/rava and salt.
- Add 3 tablespoon of curds and ½ -¾ cup of water, it may take upto 1 cup also , as it depends on the oats , flour and rava.mine took ¾ cup of water.
- With wired whisk mix well everything such that no lumps are formed and batter is of smooth flowing consistency.
- Heat griddle ,pour a ladle full of batter and swirl round as we do for dosa.Once the top look lightly cooked.
- Put some oil/ ghee all over and on edges, close the dosa with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes or till done.
- Serve Oats dosa hot with ghee on top and any Tiffin Sambar or Peanut Chutney.
- It doesn't turn dark golden brown like other Dosa as oats and rice flour both are gluten free.
- You can also make the batter more thin and add onion , jeera seeds, coriander leaves and green chilies to prepare Oats- Rava dosa .
Step by Step Directions on making of Instant Oats Dosa:
Dry Roast 1 cup of Oats on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
Add dry roasted oats to a blender and powder the oats.
In a mixing bowl add powdered oats , ⅓ cup rice flour, 3 tablespoon Sooji/rava and salt.
Add 3 tablespoon of curds and ½ -¾ cup of water, it may take upto 1 cup also , as it depends on the oats , flour and rava.mine took ¾ cup of water.
With wired whisk mix well everything such that no lumps are formed and batter is of smooth flowing consistency.
Heat griddle ,pour a ladle full of batter and swirl round as we do for dosa. Once the top look lightly cooked.
Put some oil/ ghee all over and on edges, close the dosa with lid and cook for 2-3 minutes or till done.
Serve Oats dosa hot with ghee on top and any Tiffin Sambar or Peanut Chutney.
I served Instant Oats Dosa with Peanut Chutney powder and Mixed Veggies and Chana Dal Palya. Palya in kannada means sauteed veggies dry side dish just like poriyal in Tamil.