Murmura Upma | Puri Uppittu recipe with step by step photos . Puri uppittu is a tasty low calorie evening tiffin prepared by tempering puffed rice . Its one of the quick and easy recipe to satiate your 5:00pm cravings.
It's simple to make and tastes good along with evening coffee/ tea. There is no much recipe here , it's very similar to making Poha.
About this recipe
Puffed rice aka murmura is very low in calories. And its on of the most easily available ingredient in any Indian households. For a quick and easy evening tiffin , this recipe is very apt.
To make murmura upma , give a quick rinse to murmura and keep in colander for extra water to drip off. In a pan , heat oil, add all tempering ingredients, onions ,green chillies and saute it .Lastly, at the end add freshly grated coconut , squeeze lime juice and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Its very quick and gets ready within 15 minutes from start to end.
Why you need to try Murmura upma?
- Its simple and easy to make with basic ingredients.
- Low in calories and pretty filling as a evening tiffin.
- Takes just 15 minutes
- Tastes good with filter coffee or Masala Chai
- Helps to have light dinner
The basic idea of having a filling and tasty evening tiffin between 3:30pm to 5:30pm is to have light dinner . Also having homemade fresh evening tiffin along with a cup of filter coffee/ masala Chai , doesn't make us to crave for high fat and sugary food. Which in turn will make you more Healthier , Happier and Slimmer .
Step by step directions to make Murmura Upma| Puri Uppittu :
Take murmura in a colander and rinse and wash . Keep it aside in a colander for extra water to drip.
In a pan, heat 1.5 tablespoon of oil , add mustard seeds , jeera/cumin seeds , split urad dal ,chana dal , curry leaves and saute.
Add in green chillies , chopped onions and fry till onions turns translucent. Now add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix well.
Add washed murmura and mix it well on medium to high heat for 3 minutes.
Adjust salt , as puffed rice will be having salt already. Turn off the heat , add freshly grated coconut .
Add chopped coriander leaves and lime juice , mix well and serve.
Serve hot along with a cup of hot Masala Chai or Filter coffee.
Murmura Upma | Puri Uppittu
- 5 cups Murmura / Puffed rice
- 2 no Onion , finely chopped
- 2 no Green chilli , finely chopped
- 2 Sprigs curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Jeera Seeds / Cummin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Chana Dal
- 1.5 teaspoon Split Urad Dal
- 2 tablespoon fresh grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lime Juice squeezed
- ½ teaspoon Salt or as required
- Take murmura in a colander and wash it for 30 seconds -1 minutes . Keep it aside for extra water drip.
- In a pan, heat 1.5 tablespoon of oil , add mustard seeds , jeera/cumin seeds , split urad dal ,chana dal , curry leaves and saute.
- Add in green chillies , chopped onions and fry till onions turns translucent. Now add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add washed murmura and mix it well on medium to high heat for 3 minutes. Adjust salt , as puffed rice will be having salt already.
- Turn off the heat , add freshly grated coconut , chopped coriander leaves and lime juice.
- Serve hot along with a cup of hot Masala Chai or Filter coffee.